Monday, March 15, 2010

I have always been intrigued by the woodburning process, I remember trying it in wood shop so many years ago, when I came across Tom's work on Esty I was thrilled that he agreed to do an interview with us... let's begin !


DM: What is your artistic medium?
TJ: Woodburning Art


DM: Where can your art be seen?
TJ: Currently online at http://www.crittercreek.etsy.com/. I used to have an art studio in Northern Michigan in Harrison where I used live. I sold woodburning art, rustic furniture, and chainsaw carvings.


DM: When and how did you first become interested in your medium?
TJ: I have been drawing and painting since grade school and always had a passion for art. I have painted cars, signs, done drawings, chainsaw art and finally one day (about 10 years ago) just thought I would give the woodburning a try. The detail that you can put into a piece when woodburning is incredible.


DM: Once you decided to pursue your art, how did you start off, trial and error, books, classes, videos, formal schooling?
TJ: No formal training for me. Self taught and I think as an artist you either have it or you don't. The only trick is finding the right quality equipment. From that point on it is just drawing what you are passionate about.


DM: Out of what you tried, was there any particular thing that you would recommend to someone just starting out?
TJ: Practice makes perfect! Use inexpensive tools until you really get the hang of it. Pine and Birch are the best woods to use.

DM: What do you enjoy most about working with your medium?
TJ: Seeing the final art piece. As an artist I think you always know what the end result will look like even before you start! But to see the final project is the best part!


DM: What do you find the most frustrating?
TJ: That's a hard one to answer, I don't really get frustrated. I suppose my only challenge is doing a custom order for a client when they aren't exactly sure what they want.


DM: Where do you find your inspirations for what you create?
TJ: I'm an outdoorsman all the way and have lived in northern Michigan most of my life. So the outdoor and wildlife scenes just come from my own backyard sometimes. But just chatting with my wife and kids can spark a new idea that I can't wait to get on wood!


DM: Tell us a little about one of your favorite creations:
TJ: Well...honestly I think they are all my favorites. Some pieces have up to 200 hours of work in them down to as little as 3 hours. But I think the Grim Reaper. The detail and the story it tells.


DM: Have you ever experienced artist block and how did you overcome it?
TJ: Yep.....and you just wait it out. Sometimes it takes a day and sometimes a few.


DM: What is the biggest mistake you have ever made as an artist? What did you learn from it?
TJ: I think my biggest mistake was waiting until I was 50 years old until I decided to make a career out of it. Life is to unpredictable and short to not follow your passions. If it makes you happy and you can make money....you gotta go for it!


DM: Would you please tell about your studio set-up?
TJ: My current studio is in my home. I have a great view of the lake for inspiration. I can look at wildlife, birds, ducks, deer all day! The studio is loaded with my art all over the walls, computer equipment and a drawing table loaded with woodburning tools.


DM: When is your favorite time to create?
TJ: Early morning, when the house is quiet. After my wifes goes to work and it's just me and the radio!


DM: What advise would you give someone starting out in this medium?
TJ: Follow your passion. Don't give up and just keep at.


DM: Are there any artist that inspire you or that you admire?
TJ: Probably Thomas Kinkade. I always like his work.

DM: Tell us a bit about yourself.
TJ: Well I am a 63 year old man, living in Michigan. I have a wife and 4 kids that have always supported me in anything that I have tried. I have been painting since I was a kid and have never really stopped. Only now, since I retired, am I finally able to devote my time to what I love to do.


DM: Anything else you wish to share?
TJ: A sense of humor goes a long way. It can make the long projects go by with ease and just makes life a whole lot more fun you and everyone in your life.

Thank you again Tom for sharing your art with us ! Who knows, maybe I will pick up that woodburning tool again and give it a try !

Till tomorrow ... keep creating !
Tina aka Daily Muse

1 comments:

EyeDesire said...

Wow, amazing work of art!!
I love the bear!!

Post a Comment