Monday, April 5, 2010

Today's featured artist is a little touch of the country life ... hope you enjoy and lets begin !

DM: We have so many international and domestic readers, would you please tell us a bit about where you are located?
DB: We are location in the United States the state of Pennsylvania in a small town called Adamstown. The population of the town is about 1100 people.


DM: Is there a story about how you picked the name for your business ?
DB: We are Mike and Donna Brown a husband and wife artist team. We have always loved to create things. These creative passions led us in 2008 to start Brown’s Country Originals. The name came from living in the country, the original art work we create and our last name.


DM: What is your artistic medium?
DB: I work with wood, chalkware, clay and paper mache. My wife works with dried, fresh and artificial flowers and hypertufa. Hypertufa is a lite weight concrete. Besides the paper mache and chalkware we have a line of garden items my wife makes country/primitive hypertufa birdbaths, flower planters and flower pots. I make country/primitive wooden potting benches, planter and garden stakes.

DM: When and how did you first become interested in your medium?
DB: I have a Santa collection and one of the Santa’s in my collection is made from chalkware. I thought it would be cool to try and make chalkware pieces. So I did some research to learn how to create chalkware pieces. This lead to other mediums such as paper mache. Today my 2 primary mediums are chalkware and paper mache. My wife’s love for gardening lead to her to start making hypertufa troughs, bird baths and planters.

DM:Once you decided to pursue your art, how did you start off, trial and error, books, classes, videos, formal schooling?
DB: We did most of our research on the internet. Also talked with other artists.


DM: Out of what you tried, was there any particular thing that you would recommend to someone just starting out?
DB: I recommend doing research before you get started.


DM: What do you enjoy most about working with your medium?
DB: I enjoy working with paper mache the most. Chalkware is created using antique chocolate molds, so your creative is controlled by the mold. Paper mache there are no molds used each piece I hand create. This allows me to explore more of my creative power.


DM: What do you find the most frustrating?
DB: I find pricing my pieces the most frustrating part of being an artist.


DM: Where do you find your inspirations for what you create?
DB: Antique and vintage pieces, life and world events.


DM: Tell us a little about one of your favorite creations:
DB: My favorite creation is my paper mache Humpty Dumpty. I got the idea from the old childhood stories.


DM: Have you ever experienced artist block and how did you overcome it?
DB: I find my most creative time is in the morning. The afternoon and evening is when I get artist block.


DM: What is the biggest mistake you have ever made as an artist? What did you learn from it?
DB: I think sometimes my prices for my art are to low. I am still trying to get a handle on pricing, so I am still learning.

DM: Would you please tell about your studio set-up?
DB: Our studios are in our home. Mine is in the basement, my wife’s is in a shed on our property. Neither of the studios are fancy.


DM: When is your favorite time to create?
DB: Anytime of the day … We really do not have a favorite time.


DM: What advise would you give someone starting out in this medium?
DB: Do lots of research, keep trying do not give up.

DM: Where can your art be seen?
DB: Our work can be seen on the following websites:
http://www.brownscountryoriginals.com/
http://www.brownsco.etsy.com/
http://www.artsaflutter.com/

DM: On a personal note, anything more you would like to share about about yourself?
DB: I love spending time with my family fishing and camping.

Thank you Mike for taking the time to share your passion for your art with our readers, we wish you the best for 2010 !
 
Till tomorrow... keep creating !
Tina aka Daily Muse

1 comments:

mishall magarzo said...

the original..


http://www.iraingold.com

Post a Comment